Saturday, January 24, 2009

Yes, I Want Kids.

For as long as I can remember I have REALLY wanted to be a parent. Every time I see someone with a baby, or see a cute little kid on TV I get this funny feeling inside, I just can't wait for the day that I get to be a father. It's not one of those, "Ohhhh babies are cute, I want one so I can dress it up and play house" things either. I realize that a baby is A LOT of hard work and responsibility. It's a human being, not a dolly, and you shouldn't enter into parenthood with all these ideas of how easy it will be. I can't really put into words WHY I want children so badly. There's just something about the idea of loving someone so much you'd do anything for them, and all the other wonderful things that come along with parenthood that just appeal to me.

Now, that being said, I don't really know if I'll ever get the chance to be a father. I'm gay, and it's not easy for gay men to have children, the number one reason being that men can't get pregnant. When I bring this up with my friends they all say "Well, there's always adoption and surrogacy." And they're right. Those are two options. However, for some stupid reason, there's still a debate going on in our country that asks "can two gay parents properly raise a child?". I personally think that this is one of the most ridiculous things ever. EVERY DAY children are taken care of by single mothers, or single fathers. There are a lot of children raised by gay couples, and none of them are majorly messed up. (No more than any "normal" straight families anyway).

Some people argue that two men can't provide a child with the maternal aspect that he or she needs to grow up "properly". I wonder what people consider the "proper" way to grow up? I mean, everyone is different and thats what makes life so great. I am very confident that If I were given the chance to be a father I would do just fine with giving the child any and everything they need.

The other option mentioned was Surrogacy, and it's a good option. I'm not sure how it works, I haven't really looked into for one reason: There are so many children in this world already who need good homes. That is basically the only reason why I haven't though more seriously about it, I'd really like to be able to adopt someday after I find someone to share my life with who also wants kids.

I don't know if I'll ever be a parent, but I REALLY want it. I HOPE that by the time I'm ready for children (which is no time soon, it's years away actually) America has opened its eyes and realized that I can raise children, and do a damned good job of it.

No comments: